четверг, 11 февраля 2010 г.

Removal of my microdermal anchors

In autumn last year I had three microdermals done - one between my breasts and two on my right forearm. I really loved the look of them and after doing a lot of research on them, I decided to get the first on on my chest.

The procedure was simple and only moderately painful. It appeared to heal within a few weeks. Because of this positive experience, I decided to get a couple of microdermals done on my right forearm - I used to have a surface bar there, but it never healed, so I hoped the the microdermals would do the job!

The procedure of inserting the microdermals on my arm was even quicker and practically pain-free. Whilst on the first dermal the piercer used a needle to create the pocket for the microdermal to be pushed in, the second time a dermal punch was used. I can only recommend the second method - the jewellery went in like a dream. Again, the microdermals appeared to heal really well and looked beautiful. The aftercare is pretty much that of any piercing - I only used sea salt soaks and antibacterial soap twice a day to clean the area.

I tried different jewellery, such as little stars, steel balls, little gem disks and pictured disks - the variety is awesome, microdermals are such a versatile piece of jewellery.

Unfortunately, about 4 weeks ago, it all went wrong. I am not really sure what happened, but I can only assume that some dirt got into one of the microdermals when changing the jewellery. I woke up one morning with my entire forearm swollen and red and very tender. I tried to remove the jewellery of the one microdermal this swelling appeared to be caused by - a lot of discharge came out and the anchor part of the jewellery disappeared in the, now inflamed, tissue. I cleaned the jewellery and the area carefully and threaded the jewellery back in to secure it for the time being.

I went back to the studio that day - the piercer had a quick look at it and decided straight away, that the jewellery had to come out. She also recommended to see a doctor for penicillin to battle the infection. She had never done a removal before and so recommended perhaps having them removed by the doctor.

I went to the doctor, who duely gave me the medication I needed. I have to admit that the doctor was not very helpful at all - in England, a small surgical procedure like the removal of body jewellery is not covered by the NHS - and even though he told me that he would contact a dermatologist to see what they can do, he never did so. I also contacted my private health insurance and was informed that they do not cover such a procedure.

I rang the piercing studio and spoke to another piercer. She told me that she would do some research into the issue and she rang me back as soon as she had done so. She offered to remove the jewellery herself and recommended a couple of other studios with more experience in the removal of microdermals.

I decided to go back to the piercing studio I had them originally done in even though they had not done this procedure before. It is a top studio and I am totally confident and convinced that they are the best in the area of Cambridge. I have to admit, I was a bit nervous - after all the dermals were securely anchored in my flesh!

The removal was not much more painful than having the dermals inserted - I was surprised that it was not very painful at all. She used a dermal punch to create a small hole at the smaller end of the anchor plate, pulled up the jewellery very carefully and loosened any remaining tissue from the bottom of the plate using a needle blade. All done in a matter of seconds!

I decided to have all three dermals removed, as they all had flared up a bit with the infection of the one. It was quick, clean and professional. I can only recommend using Tattoo Crazy in Cambridge for any kind of piercing and procedure - they are fantastic. With regards to microdermals - they are a beautiful and different piece of jewellery with never-ending possibilities. However, they can go wrong, no piercing is ever a safe bet! The removal seems quite a hassle, but really is as easy as having a piercing done. I guess, it is worth the risk!

There will be some scars, but they are not gonna be much worse than the ones left by a surface piercing. Only the one that was infected in the first place will leave a slightly larger scar.

1 комментарий: